Philosophy of Health Social Services
Health Social Services is an integral part of the healthcare team with services provided to individuals and families, to special population groups and to the community as a whole so as to provide comprehensive continuity of care.
Health Social Services encompasses:
- Promotion and maintenance of physical and psychological well being.
- Promotions of the conditions necessary to maximize the benefits from short and long term care.
- Prevention of physical or mental illness.
- Promotion and enhancement of physical and psychological functioning with particular attention to social and emotional impact of illness and / or disability.
- Assessment of all clients seeking medical / psychiatric services in accordance with the Ministry of Health’s policy of safe guarding the health of its entire people which is affordable to all, and serving those individuals who are unable to pay.
Services of Health Social Services
- Psychosocial assessments
- Crisis Intervention
- Domicile (home) investigations
- Interdisciplinary case consultation
- Referrals & Collaboration with other community agencies
- Discharge planning and follow-up cases
- Means assessments – persons seeking medical assistance
- Court representation / consultation
- Patient, family and community education
- Management of a residential group home for discharged psychiatric males/ females
- Case finding
- On-call assistance to community health clinics
- Research / statistics
- Coordination of involuntary admission
- Advocate on patients’ behalf
- Field visits
- Persons experiencing emotional distress, family or marital problems or problems coping with stressful life situations.
- Persons in need of additional community resources, i.e., financial assistance, etc.
- Patient and /or families having difficulty understanding disease and treatment.
- Patient and /or families having difficulty adjusting to disease symptom logy.
- Persons who are victims of rape, sexual harassment, physical and /or emotional violence or witnesses to these.
Referrals to Health Social Services
Referrals to Health Social Services come from healthcare practitioners, clinics, courts, Family Island Social Workers, Residential Facilities, Community Leaders, Direct Referrals, Family Members, Schools and other Social Work Units.
Health Social Services
Princess Margaret Hospital
Tel: (242) 356-0301, (242) 322-2861 Ext. 2681/2584/3584
(242) 322-2861 Ext. 7855