Our 13-bedded Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and 16 bedded step down Special Care Baby Unit are level 1-3 specialized Units, which are the only one of its kind in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. It is a highly specialized, nationally recognized Unit providing the highest level of care available for sick or premature newborns, including advanced treatment for respiratory failure and heart disease.
Every year, we care for more than 2, 286 newborns in our NICU and SCBU. Most newborns admitted to our NICU are born at the Princess Margaret Hospital. However, high-risk newborns are transferred to our Unit for intensive management, most of which by our highly qualified Neonatal Transport Team.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Special Care Baby Unit has been designed and staffed to provide superior medical and developmental care for our newborns, and communication and support for parents.
Our Neonatologist and the team will discuss your infant’s condition and management with you daily, and is available for consultation 24 hours a day.
Parents and families are encouraged to visit daily and participate in decision-making and daily care. You will find that our visiting hours are more flexible compared to other areas of the hospital.
Visits are allowed daily from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Parents will not be permitted on the Units during:
- The nurses’ handover period 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Emergency situations
- Times when special procedures are being performed in the general vicinity of the baby being visited.
- Only parents and grandparents are allowed to visit the baby during hospitalization. In the absence of the parent(s), only persons presenting with authorized permission from the parent(s) may be allowed to visit the baby.
- During hospitalization of the infant, photography is only allowed with authorized permission from the Hospital Administration department.
- You may call at any time to check on your baby’s condition.
Items you may bring for your baby include:
- Baby wipes
- Receiving blankets
- Baby Bath
- Pampers (sealed pack)
- Small baby towels